Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Friends

When I first moved away from home to Fort Irwin, I had such a hard time meeting anyone. It seemed like all my neighbors hid in their houses all day (or maybe just worked). I would smile at people everywhere I went in hopes I could stike up a conversation. I blamed not meeting anyone on the desertion of the desert. Maybe everyone felt the way I did?
I saw a nanny job listing on the bulletin board at the commissary, I called and she said the position was already filled. A few days later, she called back and wanted to meet with me. I got the job. As awful as it was (trust me, it wasn't a fun experience, I'll save that for another post) it got me out of the house. I took the kids to playgroup, story time, the park and I eventually started seeing the same people around. I was like 3-4 months pregnant and couldn't wait to start showing. Until then I was just wearing big maternity shirts and probably just looked like a fatso (just kidding, what I wouldn't do to go back to that weight). The point is, I wanted other Moms to know that I was going to be a mom too, not just these bratty kid's babysitter. That family PCSed that June and I was back to my lonely summer of taking Mollie on daily walks. I had been introduced to a wife from Kele's unit, and thank God for her (Kristie!). If it wasn't for her, I am not sure I would have ever made a friend or got out of the house. I eventually started meeting people, and then more people and I'd say by the time we left that place I knew a good amount of people and had my few close friends. It was such a small base that you always saw the same person twice and I think all the wives depended on eachother that much more.
Now we are at a new duty station and I am starting all over friend-wise. It is a HUGE base. I have resorted to modern technology and networks sites to meet people, but I haven't had much luck. Again, with the exception of kids playing outside I don't see any neighbors. I am sure that it is 10x harder since we live off base, but then again maybe not. I have joined meetup groups. I talk to people in the stores on base, I smile and try and appear friendly, but it seems like everyone is already content with how many friends they have and don't need another. Living close to family and getting to run away every so often definitely helps, but it also makes me think I am not trying hard enough for that reason. I am hoping and praying that the right friend comes along and that I can gain a network of friends like I had in CA. It's a struggle, I would love to have a friend or a buddy for Cayden.

There ya have it. That's whats on my heart today.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Girl do I understand this!! If it was not for you at the last post idk if i would have met anyone. The great thing about irwin was that as you said everyone relied on one another cuz that is all we had...on the bases we are now with life outside of the base nad not living on post makes it hard!!! I mean i wanted to live on post as it would be easier to make friends. hang in there hun it is hard but luckily you are a friendly person and someone will find there way to you!!! and they will be superrrrrrr lucky to find you!! You are not alone in this feeling though. love ya and miss you

Kristie said...

Awww! You'll get there girl! Its hardd, but you'll do it, your an awesome friend to have so you'll make friends easily! You should include yourself and Cayden in more activities on post, look for an MWR schedule, thats what I do here, theres always fun things to do, and I keep meeting all kinds of people (beware of the crazies, let me tell you hahaha!) Have you tried Myspace groups? They have a bunch of myspace groups for our base and the Air Force base were connected to, their very helpful!