Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mom's Day





Mother's Day is such a special day, to show your Mom how special she is to you. I am so lucky to have my Mom for a mom, and to be a mom. The pay is crappy, you don't get a vacation, but it is the most rewarding job in the entire world. It changes your prespective on the way you see the world, it shows you love that you never knew you had. My mom is my best friend, we can talk on the phone for hours and still have stuff to say. She is beautiful and patient and understanding. She is an amazing Grandma, Cayden adores her.
Do you want to know what the best present I got today was? Cayden can now say "Mommy". He walked around for about 20 minutes saying "Mommy, mommy, mommy" and after a while it turned into "mimi"-it was so darn cute. He's such a great cuddly kid, I'm so proud to be his Mommy.






Yesterday we hosted our first BBQ over here. Let's just say, the day was LONG! The BBQ itself was a lot of fun, more people showed up than I expected! The morning leading to it was a horrible, including a trip to the ER. Cayden loves to help me bake, he likes to stand on the stool and stir things and hand me things. The picture above is him helping me make cupcakes. While I was upstairs getting dressed and made up, Kele and Cayden were downstairs making eggs for breakfast. The step stool was still up so Cayden was standing up there with Dad. Cayden is usually very cautious of the stove, letting us know that it is "hot". Before we knew it, he had touched the stove top for a second and was SCREAMING. I had no clue what to do for a burn, only not to put cold water on it. He was just crying and crying, and we were just blowing and blowing on it. I figured since we had a big day ahead of us, we'd better make a trip to the hospital to make sure it is going to be OK. The last thing I wanted was for it to get worse. Two hours later, the doctor tells us it is "only" 1st and 2nd degree burns, and to just give him some Motrin and to keep an eye on it. It hasn't bothered him since then, thank God!! Poor baby, burns hurt.

Today has been exactly one year since my Grandpa Chuck passed away. He fought a long battle with cancer (cancer SUCKS!) before he lost his strength. I still remember it, my Mom had purchased a ticket to come out and see us in CA on May 9th. On the 8th (I think) my Grandpa slipped into a coma, my mom was TORN on what to do. I still wish I would have just told my Mom to go see him and change her ticket, but I didnt and I regret that. We had just got into bed (yes, we shared a bed and put Kele down on the couch..what a sport :),it was almost 11pm and her phone rings and we just looked at eachother with wide eyes because we just knew. It was my uncle Steve who was sitting right next to him, who watched him take his last gasp for air. I know he passed peacefully and that it must have been heaven (literally) to be out of all that pain. It was such a hard year for Mom and everyone, celebrating Father's Day and his Birthday without him here on earth. A whole year has passed, and we just laid his body to rest last week. He was such a gentle man, who worked until he couldn't work anymore, and who loved watching sports. He has an identical twin brother (Great Uncle Claude) whom we spent time with last week. That was the hardest part of it all, looking at a man who is identical to your own grandpa in almost every way, yet it isn't him. I wish I could hug him one last time, and sit and just stare at him. I know Grandpa is celebrating Mother's Day with his own mom up in heaven, and probably spoiling Grandma Dee (my step grandma).
Happy Mother's Day.

2 comments:

Megan said...

I LOVE those pics!!! Happy moms day and I hope it was amazing! you deserve it. Poor cayden bug with the burn! hope he is doing good. I miss you girl!!!

Chelsea {& Dan} said...

You're an AMAZING MOMMA!! Cayden has the BEST mommy!!! When he gets older he'll realize how GREAT you are!!!

LOVE & MISS YOU!